Yay For Summer

| |

Yesterday was the first day of Summer, and guess what? It rained. Today is supposed to be sunny and warm. I am hoping this is the day that turns everything around. I've been spending most of my time trying not to get discouraged while I wait on Summer to start.

I have also started a mental list of things I will do differently next season. Item number one on my list is to make a list. This year I had a loose idea of some things that I wanted to grow, but I missed out on a lot of things because I didn't think of them until it was too late. Okay well, to make the story short, here is the list as it exists so far

  1. Make a list of all the vegetables I want to grow.  Start the list early so that I can add to it before to "growing season" starts; if it ever does. 
  2. Start early.  Next year I will dig out my beds before I buy my starts.
  3. More plants - more, more plants.  No more of this one or two of each variety thing that I have going on this year.  Next year I am planting multiples of everything.  That way I will have more to harvest, more room for error, and at the very least - a back up plan when the dog digs in the garden.
  4. Security! I'm putting little fences around my beds next year to keep the dog out.  
  5. Carpe Diem! If the sun is out then I am going to get up EARLY and work in the garden.  That way I will still have time to do all of my family fun Summer stuff, and my garden won't get neglected. 
 Anyone have any advice for my list? I would love to learn from everyone else's mistakes instead of my own!

1 comments:

Priscilla @ Homegrown Delight said...

This is a great abstract looking photo of the rain. Funny post, I love it! We have a short growing season too. I've learned from my mistakes so next year I'll start early with veggies under the indoor grow light. Fencing is a great idea, my husband built me a low budget deer fence. Also, if you don't have raised beds, it's excellent. Hubby built cedarwood beds with chicken wires underneath for cheap and keeps gophers away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails