Cursed Gastropods!

| |

Something has been eating my broccoli, and it isn't me!  Something has been nibbling holes in the leaves of my broccoli plant. So far they have only eaten two of the leaves, but those leaves have turned yellow and I had to pull them off of the plant!  I don't like the looks of this!

Forgive me if I don't know what I am doing, but I am under the impression that if a leaf starts to die, you pluck it off right away.  My mom used to say that the plant would focus all of its energy in trying to revive the dying part of the plant and that removing it will remove the immediate problem.  I'm not sure if that is correct or not, but one this is for sure, it doesn't remove the root of my problem.

It looks to me, and again - I'm no expert, that some kind of snail or slug has been munching away at my broccoli leaves.  Not only does this anger me, but it also sickens me because snails and slugs are ugly and slimy and yucky.  I don't want one crawling (or slithering or slinking or whatever their mode of locomotion) any where near anything I am going to be eating!  Keep your nasty mucus off of my veggies, thank you very much!

I have yet to identify the culprit.  I have made several late night trips out to the garden to see if I can catch any of these little slime balls in the act, but nothing yet.  My mom has been sprinkling her veggies with snail and slug bait.  I don't have any on hand, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to borrow some of hers.  I thought about leaving out a pie tin full of beer.  I have heard that works.  Problem is that the only beer I have is a six pack of Widmer Sunburn and I am just as likely to share that with a slug as I am to willingly share my vegetables. ... not likely!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails