I Hate Weeding

| |

I know that a lot of you gardeners find it somewhat therapeutic, but I hate weeding.  I wish I could just wave a magic wand ala Harry Potter and make them all instantly disappear.  I find it to be back breaking work.  It leads to mounds of yard debris which I have no idea with what to do. I also firmly believe that weeds are like grey hairs; if you pull one, two will come back in its place.

I very nearly always put it off. Sometimes I get ready to pull weeds, I walk outside, I look at the task before me, and then I turn around and go back inside.  I procrastinate pulling weeds so much that they start to get out of hand and it makes me hate it that much more.  You've seen the pictures. You know what I mean.

Sunday is my weed pulling day.  I have Saturday off of work, but I have obligations so I have to wait until Sunday.  I am dedicating myself to pulling weeds.  I'm gonna do it.  I am.  Sunday is the day.
.... no
I'm still not convinced.   Okay, fine. I'll do.

I have to do it. I owe it to my plants.  Everything is trying SO hard to grow.  I feel as if I should be harvesting so much more than I am.  I have been reading other blogs on the web (see my blog roll) and it seems as if everyone is eating up their garden.  It also seems like everyone is much better at it than I am.  I hope that the Summer runs long since it took so long to get here, but something tells me I won't be that lucky.

Okay, I'll see you guys on Sunday.

4 comments:

Annie*s Granny said...

Would you believe I used to garden in my bikini top? Then the teen aged boy next door took some video of me while I was bent over weeding, facing toward him, and they showed it at our neighborhood Christmas party that winter.

I don't have weeds in my garden beds. Honest. With the raised, boxed in beds, I probably spend maybe five minutes a week, and that's hoeing raspberry suckers from the paths, pulling baby walnut trees or digging bermuda grass that comes over from my neighbor. But I walk through my garden every morning or evening with a hoe. While I'm checking on the welfare of the veggies, or harvesting something for the kitchen, I hoe or pull each little stray weed or grass seedling as I go. By keeping up with it, there is very little to do all at once.

Maybe it would help if you mentally cut your garden into sections, and concentrate on just one section at a time so the job won't be so overwhelming. Then, when you get ready to tackle section 2, go back over section 1 and make sure it's still cleaned out first. When you're ready to weed section 3, check on sections 1 & 2 before you begin 3. Before long, you'll have all sections weeded, and you can start all over again with a clean slate!

veggieguy said...

One thing to do with all the weeds that haven't started to flower is compost them:)!!! It's one of the best things you can add to your soil and it's easy!!!

thyme2garden said...

Oh Kimmi, I hope the weeding day wasn't so long for you today. I agree with Granny, it would really help with the weeding, both mentally and physically, to weed in sections, instead of feeling overwhelmed at having to weed the WHOLE garden all at once. Also, if you keep it up on a regular basis, you can avoid having to do a "big" job. Kinda like housecleaning, you know? :)

Don't feel bad about everyone else being better at this than you. I totally feel the same way, especially when it gets to be Daphne's Harvest Monday. I've just come to accept the fact that everyone else IS probably better at this than I am, and I just have to learn from them. It's not so bad!

meemsnyc said...

I really really hate to weed to. You are not alone.

Related Posts with Thumbnails