Welcome, September

| |


It is POURING outside right now.  I am at work looking out at the parking lot and watching gigantic raindrops fall on the pavement.  I wonder how my tomatoes are doing at home?  The bell peppers and patio tomatoes are in containers and they are fine, I'm sure.  My beefsteak tomatoes are probably gettin pummled.  They are partially under the eve of the porch and so I am hoping that will help to keep them safe from the weather.

The good thing about being at work today is that I can grab the lettuce and chard seeds out of my locker and get them started.  I currently have nothing to plant them in once they are ready to go outside.  I'm going to plant the seeds anyway and just cross the container bridge when I come to it. 

I am hoping to also get some broccoli and cauliflower for my fall garden.  I will need to pick up some containers for them for sure.  There is no way that I am going to root around in the mud trying to get them in the ground.  I did enough mud gardening this Summer to last me the rest of the year.

Does anyone know if you can plant parsnips in the fall?  No one suggested them.  I hope I didn't miss the boat.  I have never eated a parsnip, but they seem to find themselves into stews frequently and so I thought it might be a cooler weather plant.  Thanks people!

3 comments:

thyme2garden said...

Yes, you can plant parsnips as fall crops. Just about all root crops are good for spring or fall crops. I've also read that parsnips develop a better flavor after being exposed to the first frost. I hope it works out for you!

meemsnyc said...

Yum, love parsnips. I love making parsnip baked fries, Cut a bunch of parsnips up into fry bite sizes, Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper and scatter across a baking sheet. Bake in oven at 350 until golden brown. Oh my yummy.

Kimmi said...

Parsnip fries sound great! Thanks thyme and meemsnyc for the info on parsnips. I'm a little nervous about fall crops. I didn't plan on fall gardening originally, but I'm hooked on gardening and I'm not ready to stop this year!

Related Posts with Thumbnails