Makeshift Tomato Support

| |

I knew that my tomatoes needed support and I knew I didn't have much time. As prepared as it sounds like I was, I wasn't. Today I found a beefsteak tomato dangling perilously close to the ground. I knew if I waited one more day it would be too late.

I never did get around to breaking down and buying those tomato cages. I was ill prepared and I had to act fast. I took some twine and tied them as best as I could around a post for my porch.







It's not pretty, but neither is the rest of my first-time garden. I've been I'll prepared from the get-go, so this fits right in. Whatever, it works.




This is the tomato that I saved from the ground. And guess what that thing poking out of the ground is. It's a WEED. Again?! Yes! Don't worry though, I promptly ended its life before it grew to be 3 feet tall.

I also checked in on Yummy, my first tomato. He is doing well. He's getting big and is probably ready to to turn red any day now.




Oh! TOMATO QUESTION!!!
How big do beefsteak tomatoes get before they turn red? I want to be sure I pick mine nice and green so I can fry them up, but I also want to let them get as big as possible! The bigger the tomater, the more fried green tomaters for me!

2 comments:

meemsnyc said...

I ran out of cages so I also tied some plants to the picket fence. It's definitely not pretty, but you're right, it works.

Kimmi said...

When I did this, I thought about your comment about how you tried to tie up your tomatoes last year. I hope this works!

Related Posts with Thumbnails