The Begining of My Garden

| |

I wouldn't even go so far as to say that I am a novice gardener. I haven't ever successfully grown anything yet. What I lack in experience I make up for in enthusiasm. I am excited to begin gardening. I am thrilled to have the space to be able to grow things, and most of all, excited to grow things you can eat.

I have not yet dug out a garden area in my yard, and so all of my plants are in containers on my porch. At first I thought that this made me less of a gardener, but then I read an article in Better Homes and Gardens about growing vegetables in containers and I knew it still counted! I have 3 containers on my sunny back porch right now. My tiny container garden is made up of 1 hanging strawberry, 1 patio tomato, and 1 snow pea. So far the snow pea seems to be doing the best. It has been growing like mad. Every few days I sit down next to it and untangle its adorable little curls from around itself and guide it along the tomato cage that is in the pot.

The newest addition to my garden is a small patio tomato. It's placed on a sunny corner of my covered porch. I set it very near to the same place that my accidental tomatoes grew last Summer. My accidental tomatoes seemed to fair very well their last year, and I am hoping that this will be a good spot for my new potted plant as well.

My 3rd plant is my strawberries, which are planted in a hanging basket over my snow peas. I'm very excited because they have already produced a few small flowers and on one side, I can see the beginning of strawberries starting to appear. A site like this reassures me that Summer will be here soon, even in the Pacific Northwest.




0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails