WSU Plant Sale

| |

Today I went to the WSU plant sale. It's an annual fund raiser for the Master Gardener Foundation of Clark County. They hold the sale every year on Mother's Day weekend, and apparently the whole town knows about it because everyone was there.

The prices on the vegetable starts are pretty decent, and you can also get flowers as well. The most impressive prices were the Japanese Maples. They were about 5 feet tall and were priced between $5 and $10. The great thing about shopping at the Extension is that all of the plants for sale fair well in your local area.

My favorite thing about buying at a fundraiser for the Master Gardener Foundation is that everyone is crazy about gardening and they love to share their knowledge. My mom spent a good 20 minutes learning how to care for a clematis she got the day before. The members of the Master Gardener Foundation are all about spreading the love of gardening and helping others to become masters as well.

The plants were all in great condition. Not at all like when you go to a large chain store and the 16 year old punk rocker who works in the nursery forgot to water the plants all week. You can tell that all of the plants have been well cared for. They were also separated by category. Vegetables in one area, flowers in another, and shade plants were, well, in the shade.

There were wagons and wheelbarrows available to make the shopping easier. This was Caleb's favorite part. He pulled the wagon almost the entire time we were there until the very end when he gasped, "I'm so tired, I wanna ride in the wagon with plants". He also enjoyed helping to pick out the tomato plants. I put one in the wagon and he promptly told me, "I want two, mama!"

I got two beautiful tomato plants. I think I am going to plant them in the ground. They will probably get too big for any containers that I have. Tomorrow's weather is supposed to be great, so I will do it then. The plant sale is going on through tomorrow as well. If you get a chance, it's worth checking out!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails