How Gardening Has Changed My Life 3

| |

Today, while digging in my garden, I saw a worm. Delightful! Worms are fabulous for gardens and I need to keep at least a few in each of my containers if I am to continue my Lazy Vermicomposting experiment. Last time I found a worm I instructed my two year old son to pick it up and move it to the tomato. He was happy to oblige.

It's my usual habit to never walk on grass in bare feet. My normal practice is to disinfect my hands after touching anything. It is not in my character to reach into the dirt, pick up a worm, and toss it at the base of a plant, but that's what I did.

I reached down into the earth over and over again, plucking more than two dozen misplaced earthworms out it and evenly distributing them to each of my plants. The deeper I dug, the more worms I found. There were so many that I started piling them up for release back into the garden bed when I was done.

Suddenly I was ambushed! I disgusting fat, white, lumpy monster with a red face and nasty teeth came hurdling toward me. I shudder to recount the story now. Its soulless eyes were looking into mine as it squirmed and wiggled in the soft dirt. I screamed a string of unintelligible and possibly expletive words as I chopped the grub into pieces with my shovel. I had flashbacks of several recently made zombie movies in my head as I reacted on pure instincts.

I touched worms and I killed on impulse. That is how gardening has changed my life - so far.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails