Wilco in Battle Ground, WA

| |

Today I went to Wilco in Battle Ground, Wa. A membership card is required to buy there, but the card is free, so I don't really understand what it's for anyhow. Regardless, they had compost on sale and my mom was looking for about 10 cubic feet.

The first thing we did was check out the baby chickens, ducks, and geese. They were so adorable! My landlord told me once that chickens weren't allowed at our residence, but I am going to look into it again. She is very pro-chicken, so if legal, I'm sure we would be able to at least keep a bantam or two.

Next, we went to the nursery to check out the veggies and the flowers. I found some broccoli that looked really nice. I picked up a 6 pack for less than $2.50. The broccoli was today's addition to my container garden. I planted them in into some long planters that have been in my garage for a couple of years. They were originally supposed to be part of a building project that never got started and I'm glad I decided to hang onto them anyway.

My mom got some ice burg lettuce and butter lettuce, which she also planted in containers. My mom has been gardening since she retired a couple of years ago, and she is getting very good at it! She also plants flowers as well as vegetables, so she got some nice hanging baskets for half price at Wilco.

While we were there I did see 2 things in particular that I think I might die without.


Isn't the owl just the cutest! When I get to the decorative part of building my backyard, he is going to live in a very prominent place for sure. The bird is adorable as well, but that owl is seriously calling my name!

I picked up a small tomato cage for 99 cents, but couldn't bring myself to pay $5.00 each for the large size that I need for my big ol' Beef tomatoes that I got at the WSU plant sale yesterday. I am going to try and rig up something more cost effective, and possible more adorable, but we shall see how it turns out. My garden shares its backyard home with a 95lb pitbull/boxer mix, so some kind of protection might be in order as well.

When we went to check out the compost, a store worker recommended that we check out H & H Wood Recyclers down the road. He said that we would get a much better deal on the compost if we bought it by the truck load. The entire staff was really friendly and willing to help. Each one of them in the gardening area was engaged with a customer, giving advice and helping to pick plants. Because the prices didn't meet my needs for frugality, I would probably only shop at this store if I knew they were having a special on gardening items, or if I was making a special trip to see baby chickens and buy that little owl.

Wilco Farm Stores
(360) 687-3113
815 W Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails